Sunday, February 25, 2007

Reality

What is the lure of reality in drawn media? We live in a live action world. Most of our television and movies are live action. Most periodicals and newspapers deal in real world events. If this is the case, why are we so desperate for more reality? I'm not railing against reality television, although I can't say I care for that either. Instead I want to know why so many executives and movie goers want to see computer animated movies that try to look as real as possible. Last time I checked, most live action movies looked pretty real to me. Sure there may be some crappy computer effects in them, but the live parts were live. In the same vein, why do some comic publishers want comics that are more real.

I don't want reality in my drawn media. I want a fictitious world where I can believe in something better or see something crazy or see the good guys always win. Maybe even a world where someone dies and then comes back to life 6 times. I want to see animation used to do things that can't be done in live action, not trying to imitate it. Please make cartoons funny and mirthful without the need to look like a real life lion. Make comics about good guys and bad guys and sprinkle the reality a little lighter.

And one more thing. Joe Q please give Wolverine his stogie back.

No comments: